Thursday 11 March 2010

Don't categorise me

Recently I joined a Nikon forum. The technical advice is fine - if a bit anal at times. I don't give a toss about lens sharpness and stuff like that. Nor do I think the most expensive lenses make better photographs. But the main thing that bugs me is the way photos have to be posted in set categories. It's limiting. The same applies to photo comps that set a theme. Why?

Shooting to a theme puts blinkers on the lens. The temptation is to look for shots that fit the remit. A poor way to go about things in my view (pun intended) unless you're being paid to do that. My aim is to take photographs. If they happen to be of a landscape or a bird then that's what they are of, but first and foremost I think of them as photographs - which means they might well be about something other than the subject. But then again, all that is often in the mind of the beholder. One might see a sunset where another sees a social comment...

No comments: