Sunday 21 March 2010

Walking the dog

Yet again a sunny morning failed to last all day. A couple of chances were taken before breakfast before the frost melted completely.

Then to the river under greying skies. Walking up river I acquired a furry companion who turned out to be my best chance of a photo. Alas she got bored and chewed the stick to bits before I got a really good shot.


On my walk I pondered whether composition can be taught or if it is innate. I'm fairly sure it can be learned, by a process of osmosis from looking at photographs, paintings, anything framed that 'works'. But only rules of thumb can be taught, which if adhered to rigidly result in rigidly dull pictures. If every photo had the subject exactly one third from one side and/or the top or bottom it would be terribly dull. Contrarily a subject placed smack bang in the centre of the frame can work at times. Rules of thumb are made to be ignored.

No comments: