Sunday 15 April 2012

Round one

It's going to be quite difficult to recreate some of old photographs if this evening's trial run is anything to go by. Trees have grown to obscure views, things built to make access difficult. It'll be interesting nonetheless. One thing's for sure I'll have to take the photos in the morning, which was when most of the originals will have been shot. The low sun was a big problem today.

Here are a couple of the first efforts, which I'm sure will be redone.



Of course, I got sidetracked and did some other stuff while I was out. Using non-zooms is refreshing. For one thing they don't weigh a ton, and for another they fit in a jacket pocket. More importantly they really make you think about composition, and a consequence of that is there are a lot of shots you frame and reject before pressing the shutter release. Would they have been made with a zoom? And if they had been would they have been any good? Impossible to know. I don't find the lack of a zoom a hindrance. It's not like I have to 'get the shot' to eat!



I don't know if it's using the 50mm lens or looking at my old negatives that's doing it, but I'm making a lot of black and white conversions at the moment. Taking pictures that have simple contrasting elements in them that almost demand the monochrome treatment too.

No comments: