Tuesday 13 November 2012

Just a quicky

It's odd that I find myself looking at formal (if not classical) portrait photography when it's something I don't do. One of my favourite books is the Rineke Dijkstra Retrospective.

Over on Phil Coomes's BBC page today's entry is all about a street portraiture project being carried out by Niall McDairmid. The pictures used to illustrate the feature were enough to send me over to the Crossing Paths site and spend some time looking through the complete set.

As with any open ended series which hasn't been edited down not every one is a gem, but there are some real diamonds in there. I like the use of colour and the eschewing of some well worn rules.

I wish I had the sort of personality that makes such a project possible. But I'm not a chatty people person. So I'll stick with inanimate objects for my subjects.

No comments: