Friday 29 January 2016

Boredom

When I can't find anything to photograph I mess about. Which is what digital is ideal for - no cost frames and instant feedback. This afternoon I stuck my fisheye on the camera to see what I might be able to make with it, but having no preconceptions. The wood seemed as good a place to go play though.

With it being overcast, and pretty dark in the wood, I was a bit scuppered without a tripod. Not that it mattered as there wasn't anything to get me interested. So I started buggering about and popped up the camera's flash. All I'd be wasting would be the charge in the battery.

An over exposed to white object in the foreground is a fairly oft-used device. It gives a ghostly appearance to the object. Doing this with spindly branches against a background of darker branches created a kind of ethereal, menacing effect in the woods this afternoon. I deliberately underexposed the ambient light to heighten the effect and used the camera's built in flash. Out of sixty or more shots I got two or three that had something going for them. 




I think spinning the camera might have been a step too far though. I'd started to lose interest by then - as usually happens when I play with techniques. I get one half decent shot then want to move on and take proper photographs as the novelty has worn off.


On my way to the wood I took the long route and passed by the free range chickens. Unusually they didn't flee as soon as I turned up.


The ones in the paddock were easily lured towards my camera when I through a handful of gravel in their direction. Stupid birds thought they were being fed. No wonder they looked confused! Just as with groups of people that aren't being directed getting a visually coherent arrangement of poultry takes patience - with no guarantee of success. Unusually for me both the chicken pictures have been cropped.



No comments: