Friday 21 October 2016

Thumb twiddling

The same old things have kept me from taking many photographs again. Waiting for deliveries or collections and the shortening days.Having finished stage one of the poultry book I can't start on stage to until I get the hard copy in my hands, which will be in about a week's time. With no project getting me fired up it's been a case of a few random pictures, some of which slot in to my ongoing projects.

I found my first ball in ages but couldn't decide which picture worked best. In the end I felt that the vertical one had something extra to it beyond being a record of a lost ball.


The on-off church project might have got another addition, but the chances of the calendar being done this year is slim.


At a bit of a loose end this afternoon, which was the first free one in ages, I headed to the dreaded nature reserve armed with a wide angle and the ubiquitous superzoom which I tried to keep in my bag. I got off to a good start in using only the ultrawide, but very tame birds in the 'zoo' soon tempted me to try photographing them. It was a waste of time. Although the results were sharp enough there was nothing of interest to the pictures. Most of them got deleted and I remembered why I gave up on photographing wildlife.


Even more tempting than easily approachabe birds are fungi. There are lots about at this time of year and they have the advantage of not moving very quickly! But while it's a bit easier to get technically decent pictures of fungi than of birds, and to have more control over how you frame the shots they still end up being pictures of fungi. Of which I think there are plenty already. But it passed a few minutes.


Probably the best shot I got was the second I took as I left the car park. The trouble with an ultrawide lens is that you have to be very, very close to your subject to make it large in the viewfinder. Which meant I was nearer to the big duck than I thought I was and tripped over its base when I walked away!


Another egg display has appeared on a road I travel regularly. It's one of the more elaborate and professional looking displays but I'm not sure if quail fit my main poultry project. It certainly fits the side-project of egg displays.



No comments: