Saturday 14 July 2018

Another hot Saturday

I'm not going to complain about the sun and the heat ebcause that might well be like doing a rain dance. The heat does make carting useless camera gear around a chore though. Once more, and for the final time, I tried the Fuji at an agricultural show. The focusing speed of the camera is agricultural. No, glacial might be more apt. For static subjects the camera's great, but even a slow focussing zoom on a 'real' camera beats it hands down. I know I'm slow on the uptake. On the other hand, carting a litre bottle of water around was worth the extra weight.

Although I had intended to concentrate on the sheep pens it just so happened that the poultry show was right by them, unlike in previous years. I couldn't resist. Even though I didn't spend much time in the marquee I did come away with a couple or three new ideas.

Because of the heat the organisers of the poultry section removed the front of the marquee to allow some breeze in. This allowed me to take the shot below.


Inside the marquee I played around with the patterns of light and shade from the stripes on the marquee's sides.



White on white is a tricky subject.


Even round the sheep pens I couldn't avoid poultry when one exhibit made a dash for freedom!



And so to the sheep and another disappointing turnout with booked pens empty. There were plenty of Texels and Beltex, but I'm more interested in native breeds. That didn't stop me photographing a Euro-tup having his make up done, or Beltex having its chin tickled.



Not to mention the classic Swaledale head-grip.


Other than that it was a case of looking for 'atmosphere' pictures. Sometimes I'm not sure if these are just snapshots. I do try to make them a little more than that, but I get the feeling I don't try hard enough.



 My more graphic pictures seem to work better as a 'different' look at sheep shows.




Having a 'good camera' does get me in over my head at times when people ask me to photograph their prize winner. So it was today. Except it wasn't one prize winner, it was two. I did at least manage to ensure I had the sun behind me, and remembered to get down to sheep level. I think I've got away with it. Of course my favourite of the shots is one where things aren't going to plan.


Next weekend I have another 'job'. This time it's my feathered friends. I shall probably mess it up completely because I'm intending to take my 'professional' lenses - and maybe the dreaded flashgun. More bloody weight to cart around. However, there will be sheep.

Here are a couple of half-arsed 'portraits'. I really ought to improve this side of my photography. Mind you, high noon sun and hats rarely make for great portraits.



No comments: