Saturday 5 May 2018

More old tosh

The tedious scanning process continues. Along the way, as well as finding a surprising number of pictures in portrait orientation,  I'm realising that not only haven't my subjects changed much, neither has my way of framing shots. There's always been a predilection for minimalist geometric compositions alongside photographs of rubbish.

In some instances it's difficult to work out if a picture's appeal (to me) is down to it being a good picture, or because it brings back memories (which are lost on any other viewer). This next one has some interest in that the chap in the picture is Dick Young, who is a noted Liverpool painter among those who know the Liverpool arts scene. 
The subject of the photograph below is not so famous, but I think the picture works because of my cunning use of the reflection. If it were in colour all the glories of the 1970's wallpaper would make it less convincing as an image. I guess black and white has a use after all!
One of the frames I can't remember ever printing is this one of urinals. The idea of the composition is OK, the development and care of the negative less so. The historical context of this picture is that John Lennon may well have pissed in one of those urinals when he was an art student. They are the only place I have seen cockroaches. Those were the days...
Even some of the rubbishy pictures have some interest. I'm fairly sure that I was using a 28mm lens to take this close up of brew time. I still like that focal length for pictures of people doing things. It makes for pictures which take the viewer into the scene, I think. Strangely, I find that being in so close to people they don't imagine you can get shots of them. As a result they don't act up for the camera. 28mm is wide enough for this, yet doesn't distort the edges of the frame as much as a 24mm lens would. Perhaps it is the lack of added drama such distortions bring which makes the 28bb less popular with hobbyists?
From going through the pictures from my student days I am left with a regret that I didn't take shoot much, much more. Not only would it have been an even bigger nostalgia trip, it might have been a good body of documentary work. Still, I do have quite a few pictures of the legendary Sue Lee, life model extraordinaire. Sadly no picture of her going to buy biscuits wearing nothing but slipper and a fur coat. So these will have to do for now!


Next up, We Coulda Been Famous.


No comments: