Tuesday 18 January 2011

Look the other way

Driving to Liverpool this morning in strong sunshine, after ten, I had only gone about five miles when I saw mist rising across the flood plain. I almost carried on but as I had a camera with me and not being in a hurry I parked up and did what I could. I would have preferred a longer lens to make something of the mist over the fields, but the moored boat provided a focal point for the wider view. I wasn't completely successful in achieving a well balanced composition, and the sun was always going to burn out, but it's better to try than not.

canal mist

I crossed the canal to look for other misty framing options but there were no really inspiring ones. Not until I turned round to head back to the bridge. With the sun on the painted ironwork, the slate grey sky as a backdrop and reflections in the mirror calm surface of the water there had to be a picture. Getting everything in the frame in a satisfactory arrangement, while keeping my shadow out of shot, was tricky, but I managed one effort that satisfied me until I stared to inspect it too closely.

swing bridge

Late in the day I called in at a lake where wildfowl are fed in the hope of some tufted duck portraits. It was not to be. I was struck by the low winter sun shinning on a mute swan's raised wing feathers. The chance was soon gone as the bird quickly furled its sails. Again one reasonable image was made - or maybe two. A slight curves adjustment improved the tonality of the shot.

mute swan wings

No comments: