Tuesday 4 January 2011

Waxwing fever!

I have to confess that I've succumbed to waxwing fever, spurred on by the reports I've seen of these winter visitors, and some smashing photos of the colourful birds. My first trip out was a dismal failure. My second, to birds seen less than five minutes from home resulted in redwing and field fare, plus a lone and frozen waxwing. At this stage I resolved to ignore further  reports!

waxwing

However, seeing as there were more reported just a few miles up the road, on a route I had to pass on my way to and from Liverpool today, I threw a camera in the car and decided to drive along the road they were showing in on my way home. They proved simple to spot. The congregation of waxwing worshippers gave their location away! Having seen a few perched on a TV aerial I almost drove on by. But the chance of photographing the watchers was irresistible.

waxwing fever

Only having the 70-200 with me I was a bit stumped for shooting the birders as the road is narrow. So I grabbed a few pics of the birds and some of the bloke blocking the footpath with his camera tripod before jumping in my car and heading off.

waxwing fever

The birds were quite approachable, and I can see the attraction they could have as they perform their acrobatics reaching for berries. But the location didn't inspire me to make the effort to get such images. The whole scene was quiet surreal - people with cameras and binoculars staring into an ornamental tree in a quite residential street. I might go see if they (the birds and the birders!) are there tomorrow - taking a shorter lens...

waxwing chimps


No comments: