Sunday 13 January 2013

Out and about

It was a funny sort of day. A frosty and slightly misty start seemed an ideal combination to try and find some new looks at the sandplant. As it was going to be a big tide pushing the birdlife close in off the saltmarsh there would be birdwatchers using the bunds to get an elevated view. Not only am I interested in the detritus and plantlife in the sandplant I'm also interested in the people who use it for recreation. Although I usually get there when it's deserted.

Sure enough there was ice to be found, and a fresh scattering of junk. With the tide due to peak around noon I was there before the birdwatchers arrived, but there were soon plenty arriving to flock together at the favoured viewing spot.


I've got well over 150 shots that have something going for them from the sandplant now. The latest selection from the near 200 I took today are here. Many are variations on a theme. I keep them all because the time will come when I edit them down to a manageable collection. Most of the similar shots will be rejected. That's no reason to not take more. The hope is that one will really stand out. Another reason is that there might be some that stand out as individual images but don't fit the flow of the series, in whatever form it finally takes. The form is slowly coalescing in my mind's eye.

Then there are shots like the one below which almost achieved what I had in mind, but somehow fell short of the mark. These are saved for future reference.


Apart from the birders there was a lone dogwalker in the plant today, and also a visitor from Malaysia and her daughter who were taking photographs. The daughter had a new camera and was ardently taking photographs of cracks in ice and all manner of things and clearly absorbed in what she was doing. It made me wonder if all photographers retain this childhood inquisitiveness. I'm sure that it's a simple fascination with looking at things that makes me take photographs.

With the air being still and the mist blurring the horizon I was wishing I'd made provision to photograph the incoming tide. As it was I snatched a few half-hearted 'could have been' shots of the water flooding the marsh before heading for lunch

Snow was threatened for later but it seemed unlikely. An afternoon with the tripod at the quarry was in order. As soon as I got out of the car it began to sleet. I wasted too much time trying to capture a view over the quarry to the land beyond. The low cloud was just that bit too thick to make the scene work.

Taking a turn down the side I worked a few more ideas that failed, in part due to the light but also due to sleet on the lens.

I am finding the tripod less restrictive than I used to. The legs could be faster to adjust though. But framing shots isn't the problem it used to be. Heading back to the car I noticed a path through the bracken which didn't look 'official'. That inquisitiveness kicked in and I followed it. It lead to an area of twisted moss covered oaks, ferns and lichen encrusted rocks. If the sleet hadn't been doing its best snow impersonation I could have amused myself there for some time. As it was I noted it down for a return visit or two now I feel like I'm getting a handle on making pictures of softer natural forms.


No comments: