Tuesday 2 February 2016

Shortage of time

The desire to work on h photographic projects and the necessity of earning a crust are pretty much incompatible. Projects require time, and making good pictures requires making plenty of bad ones to get you into the swing of things so the good ones turn up.

All that is by way of saying I've not had much time to devote to photography (or fishing) of late. One project that is easy to work on is my Home Range project, which is a growing collection of pictures in the Egglestonian mode taken on my walks around the village.


Also on these walks I take vaguely documentary shots of places which are liable to change. For some reason the other day I made a few in portrait orientation and put them together in a row. This presenting of pictures as a set, the set being the work, continues to interest me. I might have to find a cheap way of printing these up at reasonable sizes on single sheets of paper to see what they look like stuck on a wall.

Time constraints aren't conducive to making much of my visits to the nature reserve. The whole place has been badly planned from the start. All the best views from the hides face west - meaning the setting sun always blinds you! A low sun shining through narrow windows into a dark space makes for a photographic challenge. But it can also make for interesting light and interesting pictures. It would have been much more difficult to get the results today's digital cameras can produce if restricted to slow colour slide film.

I'm still not sure if there's a project to be found from these visits. But it's somewhere to go for a couple of hours. Maybe I need make longer visits?

There was one lovely ironic moment today, though. One of the window-hogging long lens machine gunners had only been gone a few minutes when the barn owl he'd been photographing a few hundred yards away flew under the hide windows and perched briefly a few feet away. So close I doubt his telephoto would have been able to focus on the bird! My 50mm lens would have focused had I been quicker and had the camera been set up for outdoor shooting and not for low light. Still, the snap below is a nice reminder of the incident


No comments: