Saturday 20 February 2016

User error?

There was another poultry show today. Nothing had changed from the last time I was in the shed in November. The lighting was the same, my gear was (almost) the same, but I was cocking things up. For low light situations I have my camera/s preset to cope. As soon as I go indoors I switch the mode dial to my preset shutter speed and aperture with auto ISO. So why the hell was the shutter speed way too low as soon as I walked in the shed, spotted a man appearing to apply make-up to a chicken, and took three shots which all suffer from blur?

A couple of times I found my settings had altered inexplicably and the ISO gone over the roof. Then I started to miss focus. Now this might be the result of a new body which needs calibrating to my lenses. I do hope not because a) I've never needed to make any adjustments on any of the bodies I've owned, and b) I really can't be arsed doing it.

The misery continued when I tried using flash for some shots. When I pop up the camera's flash everything works like a dream. Sure the shadows can be harsh, but I tend to use it just for close-up shots of 'stuff' and it isn't too jarring. As soon as I stick a speedlight on the hotshoe everything goes tits-up. The ambient and flash don't balance like they do when I play around at home. I can't manage to make any manual compensation. I'm sure there's a simple answer, but I never seem to find it!

At least the show was entertaining and enlightening. I learned a lot about primping poultry. Not only do they wear make-up, they get brushed and have their legs oiled. Which all made for some interesting shots - when I didn't mess up.



Then there was a man with a chicken between his legs.


Arriving early had certainly made for some fresh photo opportunities. I also started one another idea. I do like making grids and there are some things at the shows which are ideal subjects for grid-making. Today's target was the variety of things pressed into service for holding water in the show pens. Only four of the shots I took 'worked', so I made a grid of four. I already have an idea for another grid, and might even think up some more in due course.
As ever I keep an eye open for quirky or amusing details. Although some of them probably only amuse me!


A larger selection can be found here.

No comments: