Tuesday 17 January 2017

Postcards from the rain

Picture postcards have been an inspiration for artists and photographers for decades. Tom Phillips enlarged details from them  them in paintings, Martin Parr has cited them as an inspiration for his more brash documentary photographs.The Caravan Gallery has produced its own postcards as part of its Pride of Place projects. For some time I've been intending to make my own versions of postcards of Southport. A visit to The Atkinson today provided me with four garishly coloured postcards of Southport scenes. Better still the conditions were perfect for photographing the same views. The bare winter trees and heavy overcast and drizzle were all I could have asked for!



The lettering was hastily done, so I'll revisit that in due course.



I was so inspired by the damp, misty day I carried on taking photographs around the Marine Lake. Some of them would make good postcards too...



Can one ever tire of irony?

No comments: