Sunday 5 March 2017

Higher ground

Sunday's weather was forecast to be wet. All day wet. My plan was to make an early start on Saturday to make the most of the fine spell before it ended late in the day. Oversleeping put an end to that plan. Even so I managed to get out before twelve. While the sun was shining brightly the wind was quite strong and cool. The changing light was good for making the kind of landscape photographs most people seem to like.


With not much happening around the beach entrance I thought I'd take a long walk to where the dunes rise up high. On the beach the walking was easy. Climbing to the top of the tallest dunes nearly did for me! The view was worth it and one day I might go back with a tripod to make some (technically) better pictures.


Although it's not all that far a walk it does bring the wind farm and the Mersey entrance close to a longish lens. It still means shooting into the low light at this time of year once it gets past noon.
 

Of course, while I was stood atop the dunes another cyclist on a fat-tyred bike went past. One of these days. One of these days...


Down on the beach I made a couple of pictures in my usual landscape style. Showing man-made elements.



By the time I was getting back to the beach entrance the weather was changing. I like making wide shots using a long lens of people on the beach showing the shapes people and animals make against the clear sandy background is Lowryesque.


Messing around with video again I've come to be fascinated with the surreal way people who are not the subject can wander into a frame doing unrelated things. It's something I'm trying to incorporate into my photographs.


The kite flying couple were back again, but they arrived shortly before the rain and struggled with the gusty wind and soon beat a retreat. I spent more time shooting video than stills of the kite flying. Editing video is beyond the power of my computer. Thankfully. Otherwise I might find myself getting into that side of things. Which would no doubt mean more expense buying different cameras and recording gear.



No comments: