Monday 23 July 2018

Tiring weekend

it was a case of in two minds again this weekend. Could I face a sheep dog trial the day after a country show? From a lazy person's perspective sheep dog trials are great because there is no real need to get there early! Unlike poultry and sheep shows where the interesting stuff happens first thing and sort of fizzles out as the day progresses, a sheep dog trial is steadier in it's activity. Having just about recovered from what turned out to be almost the full day at the Royal Lancashire Show I was able to face a drive over the border by ten o'clock the following morning.

Having checked to see that the gates opened at nine on Saturday for the show I arrived a little after that to find the gates closed. Elf and Safety were at work. There were still vehicles moving on the show field and the public were being kept out. I'd miss the early action round the sheep pens.

Unusually, the sheep pens were under cover, with the showing taking place in a ring lined by crowd control barriers. As it turned out I wasn't too late and managed to sneak in to the pen area and tried to get some different pictures using 'better' lenses than usual. The different pictures I got, the difference between the lenses was less than internet wisdom would suggest. Certainly not at the longer focal lengths. I might well revert to my usual gear next time out.




Once more the traditional sheep were outnumbered by the minority breeds. The difference between the two is quite noticeable. The minorities are better presented - sheep and handlers are well groomed. The traditional breeds, sheep and handlers, look much more like they have come straight from the farm!


Although outnumbered by primped and preened minority breeds presented on halters by handlers in white coats,  the eventual interbreed show champion was a Lonk tup almost straight off the fell. A proper sheep!


Despite the judging taking place in a ring style enclosure it was no easier to get a good angle on the proceedings. Mostly I didn't bother trying to repeat what I've done before and kept looking for something different. When photographing people engaged in some activity expressions can make pictures better. Even if the face isn't what is in focus.


Animals have expressions too.


With another slightly disappointing show of sheep I had a brief look at the shearing demonstration, which was popular with the public, but difficult to photograph without getting in their way. Again I tried to find unusual ways to look at the event. More sheep here.


And so, inevitably, to the poultry tent where it was a case of repeating myself before photographing the prize giving. It being the first time back at the show for a poultry section a big effort had been made with new cups (the originals, for all classes not just poultry, having been sold off when the show hit hard times years ago), distinctive rosettes, cage number cards and fetching red rose ties for the officials. A few more poultry pics here.



Sunday saw drizzle greet me as I had my breakfast, putting more doubt in my mind about the sanity of going to a sheep dog trial. The internet said it would be dry, so I took a chance. This trial was a bit more of an 'event' than the others I've attended. It had been publicised in advance with signs and posters along the road, promising the public free entry and home cooked food for sale. The trial is run as a fund raiser for the Gargrave Show next month. There were seats set out and the field had a slope which made for a grandstand view.



The way things were laid out meant that I was further from the action than I was expecting, so opportunities for pictures of the dogs in action was reduced. I didn't really get anything I was happy with. I'm not sure if my brain was still a bit frazzled, but I couldn't see pictures. Nor could I manage to get action shots in focus. These subjects which demand technical knowledge and masterful technique aren't for me! Cropping was the order of the day for action shots.



Overall I performed about as well as the sheep did. More often than not they failed to do as the dogs told them to and frequently ran off wherever they fancied. Which was entertaining for the crowd, but the cause of much muttering among the handlers.


As the afternoon wore on I did start to perk up and looked for pictures of dogs and handlers. With limited success.



A few more (mostly rubbish) pics here.

No comments: