Sunday 3 March 2019

When the rain came

No spare time to get out and do any serious photographing during the week and I was unable to go to any events on Saturday either. I did squeeze in half an hour round town with a camera but nothing much came of it other than a near miss in the art gallery.


However, the scanning of The Dusty Negatives Archive progressed and is drawing to a conclusion. Fifty sheets viewed and selected frames scanned. Twenty five more to go. The difference being that the remaining films aren't up to much in terms of good or interesting pictures (not always the same thing). They are mostly fishing related. In 1982 the student grant dried up and the photography for its own sake dried up with it.

It's been an enlightening exercise. I've discovered that some subjects I photograph these days had already caught my eye in the 1977-1982 period when I was actively taking photographs. Dogs, pigeons, road markings, street furniture - sheep too. There are also ways of framing/composing pictures which have remained very much the same. In those days I had a 50mm lens, a 28mm and a x2 teleconverter which I put behind the 50mm. I could still live with that trinity of focal lengths and sometimes I do use just them. It surprised me how quickly I developed and settled into a 'style' which seems to have pretty much stuck.

Towards the end of my scanning I found a couple of sheets which contained pictures taken one rainy day in 1981. I shot those rolls of film with the intention of using the pictures as the basis for a painting. There were slow shutter speed pictures of feet, and pictures of reflections on wet tarmac. However there were also about a dozen on an umbrella theme. It was unusual for me to take so many pictures on one theme simply because of the cost of film.


I could try to claim that this is my longest running project, as I still photograph people with umbrellas now and then. :DThat might be stretching it a bit! However, it could be time to revisit this theme in a more concerted way.
All the old umbrellas here.


No comments: