Tuesday 9 April 2019

Easter lambs

Of all the events I've photographed I think sheep auctions are the most difficult to tell the story of in pictures. Certainly without resorting to the obvious. That doesn't stop me trying, but it can be frustrating.


This time I was determined to get some unloading shots. At least this takes place outdoors where the light isn't as gloomy as inside the shed or sale ring. Sheep jumping out of trailers is a bit of an expected picture, but hard to resist. Not easy to capture though. I wasn't helped by trying the flippy screen and liveview again. It really doesn't work well on the DSLR for action when a subject is moving off the focus point. I'll persevere with it for a while longer before I'll admit defeat!




Looking back at the results of the day I'm wondering if I've been overdoing the low level shots anyway. There are some eye level ones which work better. Low down can give a lot of space at the top of the frame to fill. Waist level can be a good compromise.



Sheep level has its uses though.


When I see an open door my inquisitive nature takes over. Behind the scenes pictures add variety and interest to a project.


Is it cheating to spin a can round in order to reveal what it is? I don't think so.


Lamb level is as low as I can get. Again the focus point let me down. If only it had an auto area setting which would pick out whatever is nearest the camera no matter where in the frame it is.

 

Feeling somewhat dispirited I left the mart early and went for another peek at the lamb sculptures which I'd noticed the other day were surrounded by daffodils. The sculptures are not positioned well to make photographs without including the road and/or road signs. So I chose for making the setting obvious.

Despite the lack of worthy additions to the files I have come away with some thoughts on how to do better in future. So it wasn't a wasted journey.

Back home I found some more sheep related photography/documentary stuff on-line. This cheered me up as I didn't think it was anything special, despite it's grant funded status. I shall continue doing what I do in my own half-arsed way!

No comments: