Sunday 3 May 2020

Big skies

Although work has started to come in I've been putting off starting it this week with the weather remaining fair. After a day of light rain I wondered if the moss would look different the next day and went for a look. Not much had changed save the sky being a more normal cloudy grey instead of a uniform bright blue.

In an attempt to change the way I looked at things I'd taken a longer zoom out with me on my previous walk and used it mostly at the shorter end of the range So it was back to the 'boring' mid-range lens. It reflects the way we mostly see the world, I think, which is why I seem to circle back to using it. Sometimes I wish it was a little longer, but mostly I don't.


For the most part I stuck with the front on approach with a centralised subject or near-symmetrical composition. This seems to fit the way I see the landscape here, and the architecture.



A few days later the sunshine had returned along with fluffy clouds. This was bound to change the way the moss looked. There would, however, be a strong temptation to photograph the big skies. I soon gave in to it.


I also soon realised that the sky isn't the subject of this project. The land is. While I was still taking the straight-on pictures I thought it was time to try other angles. I wasn't convinced that it was working. Either I need to do it more to get a handle on how to do it well, or not bother as they results  looked a bit to forced to me.


I went back to plan A.


As is so often the case when I visit places repeatedly I repeat photographs. I'm sure I don't do it intentionally. However, one instance when compared with an earlier shot pointed up how even  a short space of time can see subtle but significant changes to a scene. It's unlikely I'll make any more versions of it, but you never know. It could make an interesting series.
With all the walking I've been doing I was in need of a less taxing route today and I ended up at the playing field where I've taken loads of pictures of the pavilion over the years. For once I managed to make something a bit different from the norm.


Knuckling down to work this week might see bigger changes out on the moss when I get a chance to return. If nothing else some crops should have grown on a bit.

No comments: