Monday 15 March 2021

Viewpoint

The combined evils of work and weather have once again confined me to barracks. So great was the boredom one day I tidied up the 'junk room' enough to be able to walk from the door to the window without climbing over stuff. My boxes of mounts and mounted prints, plus my old negative and slide files, finding a home in the old cupboard thing that was in the middle of the room! How long it will stay neat and uncluttered remains to be seen...

It wasn't until Friday afternoon that I was able to make use of some free time and sunshine as I wandered the familiar area. For a change I actually hung around and waited for the light to change after I had seen shadows cast on the greenhouses. Just as I noticed them and took a couple of shots the light dimmed as a cloud covered the sun and the effect was lost. It was a windy day so I hoped the cloud would soon be blown away. It was.

By changing my angle and closing in on a detail the same subject was given two different looks. Unconsciously I did the same thing a little later on my walk.

 

On its own a detail can be mysterious or ambiguous to someone who isn't familiar with whatever the object is.

A wider view explains a lot more. Although I guess the majority of the population would still be none the wiser in this case! Both pictures have found a place in my 'drainage' files.

Sunday, for some reason, saw me feeling very bored. Even so I left it almost until the last minute before doing something about it and just made it home before the rain set in again.

I keep feeling that there is something to be done along the lane that peters out beyond the estate I live on. I can't find a way in to it no matter how many photographs I take along it. 

Right at the end new signage appeared a short while back. I wasn't really in gear by the time I got there but I managed to work at things first with some micro composition, gradually moving the position of the sign relative to the background.



I'd deliberately left my zoom lenses at home and gone out 'old school' with a 50mm on the main camera and my 28mm equivalent fixed lens compact in a pocket. This did push me to consider my viewpoint a bit more than when I have a zoom attached. That's not to say I don't consider it, and sometimes a zoom makes it easier to beg both viewpoint and framing better. I do like the kind of arbitrariness that a single focal length forces on me.

After the micro composing I shifted position and altered the picture completely to show where the sign points. Again it's an example of changing the amount of information contained in a picture.

Not having a plan as to where to go I thought it might be worth a look along the river and canal as I've not been down there for a long while since my almost daily walks to the post office have been curtailed by my self imposed pandemic restriction of two trips per week.

My route to the river takes me through a housing estate with open plan gardens.It has a different feel to the one I live on. Not least because there are trees. There could be a series to be made using teh trees to either frame or obscure the houses and cars. I'm not sure if there'll be enough views to make it worthwhile, but it's given me something to think about.

There wasn't much to see at the canal that I haven't seen before, but I took a few boats of a yacht that's been moored up for ages. For some reason it struck me as worth a look this time. I'm not sure it was worth the effort.

Another proof of my latest zine arrived today and it got me thinking that I've gone a bit too minimal with it. I might have to back track and revert to a previous version, or a variation on one. I've got a couple of weeks left until the swap's deadline. Enough time to start and finish something completely different!


No comments: