Tuesday 27 July 2010

A sunny evening

I wasn't sure where to go looking for stuff, or what to look for, this evening. In the end I hedged my bets and took big and not so big lenses out, which is unusual for me. At the last minute I turned off the main road and down a dusty track to check out a patch of waste ground between the track and two ditches that I thought might hold some interesting insects. With the sun being so bright I left the flash gun in the car. There were a few butterflies around, one of which was visited by a fly while I was attempting to take it's portrait. Hence the soft image.

Gerroff!

Other butterflies around were the usual meadow browns, plus a few red admirals and a peacock or two. I was hoping to see some damselflies or dragonflies, and I did disturb one that I didn't get a good look at. It was quite a dark one and not too big. Possibly a common darter. As I drove back along the track I saw another dragonfly heading up into the willows along the bordering ditch. Those were the only two dragonflies I saw. Maybe the next port of call would be better? I was off to see the barn owl, and with it still being bright I thought there might be some dragonflies near the ditches.

After parking up I set off to the first footbridge. When I crossed it I saw the paths had been mown, revealing the public right of way to the left which I had not taken before. This runs alongside a ditch that had buckler fern lining both banks. I think it's buckler fern, at any rate. As I walked along I could hear corn and reed buntings, but no sign of any until a corn bunting flew out of the fern just a couple of feet in front of me! I slowed my pace and disturbed another bird. Paying more attention I could see there was a group of young reed buntings in the fern on the opposite bank, accompanied by at least one adult male. Then I noticed two young corn buntings on my side of the ditch. I went into stalking mode and slowed up even more. The corn buntings didn't let me get very close, the reed buntings seemed to get used to me, and I got very close indeed.

Corn buntings

An unconcerned young reed bunting

I spent over a quarter of an hour photographing the reed buntings before turning back to go sit on the second bridge and await the owl. It was still very sunny and I thought the owl may appear later than usual. By eight there was no sign of it. Clouds had covered the sun and the air was turning slightly cooler. I went back to the car. Leaning on the gate I kept a vigil for a distant glimpse of pale wing movement. There was none. I went for a wander along the lane hoping the owl would be in the field behind the beeches. When I chanced to look along the lane I was surprised to see the owl working up the verges of the lane towards me.


Hovering in anticipation

As there was no cover for me I headed back to the gate, looking around to check on the owl from time to time. I saw it hedge-hop into the field. As I neared the gate I practised squeaking. I did too good a job. Looking back again the owl came over the bank onto the lane and was heading straight for me. I dropped to my knees and tried to blend into the grass, but too late. I got two dodgy pics as the owl saw me and turned tail.

Sussed!

I hoped, in vain, that the bird would work the field behind the beeches and appear in front of the gate. What it must have done was head out across the field. When I saw it again it was far off in the distance, closer to the main road. That was where it stayed too. I could see it working along a hedgerow a few yards from passing traffic. In the end this was too much for me. Knowing the futility of it, and with the light very poor, I drove round to the main road and pulled up in a gateway that looked back towards my initial parking place.

Now the cloud had rolled away and the low sun was throwing golden light on the landscape. All I needed was a barb owl to fly into a shaft of sunlight within range of my camera. When the owl showed up it was half way back to the spot I'd recently left... It was soon gone, too. I knew I'd blown it with my premature squeaking efforts, so I couldn't complain. The buntings had made the outing worthwhile.

After crossing the moss close to home a bird flew from the hedgerow on the right of the road and landed on the verge on the left. As I got closer I was expecting a thrush or blackbird to fly away as the car approached. To my amazement the bird that took to the air was owl shaped. A little owl. And closer to home than the one I had seen previously, making me wonder how many of them there are in the locality. The more you go around with your eyes open, the more you see.

PS - these aren't the best photos, but the more interesting ones.

No comments: