Tuesday 16 April 2013

Playtime

There is a growing consensus on the photo-sites I check that digital cameras have got to the stage where how they handle is pretty much the deciding factor when choosing one for 'general' shooting. Having splashed the cash, and got a remote release thrown into the bargain, on the used G2 I have been giving it a try out in earnest today. The manual revealed how simple the exposure compensation control is - push the thumb wheel in then rotate it, push again to lock the setting. With the electronic viewfinder the changes are there to be seen as you make the compensation.

The viewfinder isn't quite like using one in an SLR, but at least it's accurate and uncluttered. With the sun shining yet again it was light and shade that caught my eye when looking for pictures during a walk to the village and back.








While the files are very good they are no match for those from a full frame DSLR. Pulling detail out of shadows is best done in moderation, and there is a lack of tonal gradation which can result in blown highlights, but the sensor is small. The colours are pleasant, exposure good and the auto white balance seems to work okay. Best of all the camera is light and small, and easy to work with almost without thinking. My thumb has yet to learn where the buttons are for moving the focus point around, but with the back-button locking focus when pressed it's quicker to focus and recompose.

This evening  I hit the beach and the flip out screen proved its worth for another addition to my lost ball collection. A collection which has developed a sub-set of Beach Balls!


For hobbyists the micro four thirds system seems to be perfect the perfect balance of image quality, flexibility and compactness. You'd think that would all bring the added benefit of low price. But at entry level there's not much to choose between it and entry level APS senosr DSLRs. If size and weight is a major concern the smaller sensor cameras obviously win out. But once you start looking for better handling (as per a pro DSLR with external controls) both the size and price leap up to match the DSLR kit. The same goes for the better, faster, lenses. You spend almost as much, save a little weight, but lose out on sensor size.

If I want to go out and make photographs I'll use the DSLRs, but if I want to have a camera with me while out and about I want something small light and cheap that is good enough. The X10 was it - apart from the blasted viewfinder. The G2 might be it.

It certainly proved more than adequate as a fishing camera yesterday. I'd forgotten how useful a flip out screen is for self portraits. I was also pleased at how fish were rendered. The X10 made them look less 'fishy' somehow. Not so smooth and shiny. There are times when cutting the weight down in the fishing rucksack matters, so if nothing else the G2 has found a place in there.

Enough of the gear talk. On my walk this morning I took a photo that raised an old issue which has cropped up in a book I'm reading. So my next post might be a little more interesting.


No comments: