Monday 8 April 2013

The drawer of unloved cameras

The drawer of unloved cameras is the digital equivalent of my cupboard-shelf of unloved cameras, which is home to old film cameras - which has recently received another which I was given by a friend. Watching the Saul Leiter film last night I saw him using a selection of small digital cameras. I'd also been pixel-peeping at files from a micro 4/3 camera and thinking how acceptable they were for casual use after talking over with a friend how if I was starting out as a hobbyist wildlife photographer taking shots for my personal pleasure and to share on the web I'd probably opt for that system.

Although I like the output from my X10 I haven't bonded with using it, thanks to the viewfinder not matching exactly what the sensor sees. Hence the drawer was slid open and my 2006 vintage bridge camera taken out. Batteries loaded and a walk to the Post Office and back was called for.


The camera's 6.3 mega pixels have been used to fill at least one double page spread in a fishing magazine. The Canon S3IS was quite a popular camera among angling writers. That was in the days before I ever bothered processing my JPEGs. I was interested to see what I could make of the files these days. Compared to those from more up to date cameras they required considerable tweaking to satisfy me. The small sensor probably accounts for the lack of dynamic range and the easily blown highlights. It certainly accounts for the smeary detail. Even so, given bright light as I had this morning, the files are perfectly acceptable for web use


The next step was to make a print. This showed up the limitations rather more. However, with careful processing and viewed at a sensible distance an A4 print didn't look too bad. I'm sure that 5x7 prints would be fine. In fact I know they would because I've printed out a few photographs of fish at this size in the past. For family snaps a camera like this seems perfectly adequate. It's modern equivalent would be even better.

What surprised me most in all this was that, apart from the camera's controls (I set it to programme mode rather than try to fiddle with anything) and the focus point being fixed, I found it easier to make the pictures I wanted than with the X10. Simply because of the viewfinder. It might be a horribly tiny and grainy electronic viewfinder, but it shows you exactly what the camera sees. Although the powered zoom was a nightmare to use coming from manually controlled zooms the overall experience was enjoyable. All I'm after is marrying a camera I'm comfortable using with adequate output.


Ideally I'd like an electronic viewfinder on the X10 as it's such a likeable camera that, now I shoot JPEGs, gives me files that are malleable and make for nice enough prints. Unfortunately that's not going to happen any time soon. One option would be one of the X10's bigger brothers, but they are out of my casual-shooting price range. Same goes for a Sony NEX - nice as the one I handled was. Having sold some surplus camera gear could take a punt on a used micro 4/3 body and zoom and feel no financial pain. The trouble is I think I might just be looking for a new toy. However it could turn out to be a toy that helps me make more pictures... It's all too easy to find justifications for new toys!

No comments: