Monday 27 May 2013

Return to the quarry

I'd been wondering what the beach looks like in the early morning for some time. Today, with a wet afternoon forecast, I went to find out. Maybe there'd be some horse riders around before the parking charges kick in. Turns out that apart from a handful of distant dog walkers way out at the water's edge it was deserted. It was also bloomin' cold with what felt like a north-easterly blowing.  No wonder there was nobody around. I would have hung around a while if it hadn't been for the wind. As it was I thought I'd seek shelter at the quarry.

With the gorse in full bloom and the trees leafing over the place looked completely different to how it had in winter. The new greenery sprouting up made the place more uniform and only when the sun was shining was I able to see any pictures which fitted the style I had become accustomed to making here.


Unfortunately the cloud was building and the light became changeable. The fresh growth was making me look at things differently and consider a different approach which I wasn't geared up for. It's time to start looking at details and using telephotos to compress space now it is a more claustrophobic environment. I was going to leave the quarry alone but this visit has given me fresh ideas to pursue.


Following a trail of feathers lead me to the partly eaten corpse of a heron. This proved difficult to photograph with the gear I had with me. The G2 was useful with it's flip out touch-screen making picking the focus point simple while holding the camera low, but the dim light (clouds had rolled over the sun and I was under a thick leaf canopy) showed up the limitations of the sensor - although at web size it's fine and a 5x7 print doesn't look too bad. I must start working to the camera's limitations.



No comments: