Wednesday 29 May 2013

That's done - for now...

My hard copy of the quarry project, pretentiously (and possibly temporarily), titled Out of Stone arrived today.

The trouble with these things is they rarely turn out the way you think they will. The cover colour wasn't quite dark enough, what little text there is was a little too large, and a couple of the photographs had a technical flaw which I thought was a facet of the screen previews (I should perhaps have made test prints). The photographs came out well enough though.

Minor glitches aside, which I think I have corrected should I choose to get another copy printed sometime, I'm quite happy with the way it has turned out. Running pictures across the gutter was a gamble that doesn't work as well as it does on the screen, but if the book were 'properly' bound it would work better. I deliberately chose to place the gutter to one side or the other of the pictures -which is why some are aligned left and some right - to minimise it's impact.

Although I don't like to crop carefully composed pictures the full bleed pages were a visual device I used to break the layout into sections. In all it was an interesting exercise - both from a photographic and a presentational perspective. I wanted to try something other than the standard centred picture on a  page layout.

Having got fresh ideas to investigate at the quarry this might only be a starting point.


No comments: