Wednesday 17 September 2014

Worth a watch - Paul Nash

Paul Nash has been one of my favourite painters ever since I first became aware of him. As with photography I have a preference for British painting, and Nash is one of the finest interpreters of the British landscape there's been. But his war paintings, which this first programme in the series British Art at War is ostensibly about, are equally evocative.


I found some of the psycho-interpretation is a bit superfluous, at times Graham-Dixon seems to be waffling. Look at the pictures and make your own mind up. It was interesting to see that in later years Nash used a camera, which I'd forgotten about, as a source for paintings. His surrealist leanings influenced his photographs as much as his paintings. I'd like to see more of them.

Keep an eye out for the next two programmes - Sickert and (another of my top ten painters) Bomberg.

Watch it while you can.

No comments: