Thursday 23 October 2014

The same, but different

The ability for photography to record change is something which continues to fascinate me. A few weeks back I noticed that the red box I photographed last year was, miraculously considering it is in a very public place, still in the same place. However it had faded considerably. I didn't take a photo of it, just made a mental note of the fact. Today, for some unknown reason, I did take a photograph of it. Partly this was to see if I'd frame the shot the same - which I didn't (I placed the box pretty much bang in the centre of the frame). It was only when I checked back through the blog to find the first picture that I noticed the date. Almost exactly one year ago!

It's curious how the flat, diffuse light (and the faded red) makes for a completely different picture with a totally different feel.

Recording change is a fine justification for making documentary photographs. As the site of the mill continues to be developed I'm regretting not making an earlier and more concerted effort at recording the process, and particularly making a record of the mill before the demolition was started. I hope someone had more foresight than me.




No comments: