Sunday 26 August 2018

A lucky break

A Bank Holiday weekend means one thing is guaranteed. Rain. Sure enough it was pattering against the window when I awoke yesterday. The forecast predicted Saturday to be the only really dry day of the holiday and sure enough the sky began to clear as I approached the showground. I've learned my lesson that an early arrival not only avoids the queues and secures a parking spot close to the entrance, but means I get more photo opportunities as people arrive with their stock and doing other things such as  dealing with the inevitable paperwork that is involved to keep track of the animals and giving them haircuts.




There weren't many sheep in the pens when I got there so I was able to roam between them. When the time came for judging nobody asked me to move, so I stayed put and got an uninterrupted view of the proceedings. No that I got much in the way of better pictures because there isn't much space to move around.



On a technical side I was using my fast zoom again and although I am getting accustomed to it's range I still find it a bit of a pain. Like a fool I was trying it wide open like everyone seems to use their lenses these days. The better subject isolation it is supposed to give compared to narrower apertures doesn't look that way to my eyes. But the shallow depth of field can be a real pain at times. There haven't been many occasions I've found when it has improved my pictures, and it's inability to focus close has missed me lots. I'll give it one more try, stopped down to a sensible aperture. But only because it is sharp.

Because of the lack of close focusing I took my fishing compact along. Nothing is without problems and the slow focusing and the sensor technology combined to thwart my attempts at making pictures of sheeps' eyes. I managed one that was both in focus and not too badly exposed (once I'd cropped a bit off). A black and white conversion his some flaws too. I can imagine making a series of these pictures. But knowing me probably won't... A few more snaps from the day here.


Earlier in the week I'd taken an evening stroll along the floodbank at the marsh with nothing much in mind. The light was bright and casting shadows which picked out the sheep tracks and hoofprints. Not having gone with photographing those in mind I took some snaps. Once again I converted them to black and white because they are quite graphic in their appearance. This is something else I could imagine making a series of pictures of. Maybe I ought to do both the tracks and the yes? However, whenever I have an idea like that I start to lose interest once the box ticking starts!




No comments: