Monday 20 August 2018

Same but different

Back when I was student it was common to get 'stuck' with your work. It happened to everyone. Things are going well, progress being made, but then it all grinds to a halt. You're stuck. One guaranteed way of becoming 'unstuck' is to 'work through' whatever it is you're doing. Just keep plodding away and somehow a breakthrough is usually made. The other option is to start doing something else and return to the stuck work at a later date.


I was definitely feeling stuck with the sheep pictures. Even on Saturday in Yorkshire. I started off repeating myself photographing the judging. Nice enough pictures but nothing different.


Boredom with what I'm doing often results in me messing about. That's what seems to have happened and looking through my photos back on the computer I found a few that put a different angle on things.

The first bit of buggering about was to use a slow shutter speed. The idea has some possibilities even if this effort isn't too great.


 I spotted a visual echo of a Jacob sheep's horns and a plastic clip. Perseverance paid off eventually.


Another echo was sheep and people apparently fenced in. Trying to get all four faces clearly visible between the bars was nigh on impossible. I did my best.


Then I got a bit off the wall.


In the craft tent there was a class for animal made of vegetables and fruit. I've seen this class at other shows and wonder how it came into being! There was a cauliflower sheep which was rather good.

More from Gargrave here.

Sunday was the bantam society's auction. I almost forgot about it, and was in two minds about going when I did remember. Having been to one before I wasn't expecting there to be too many pictures waiting to be found, but I had nothing better to do.




The refreshments are always welcome, and add to the club funds, but there's washing up created. With the village hall kitchen not in use for the auction things have to be improvised. Shots of committee members doing the mundane work that makes events run smoothly are always worth having. They help tell the bigger story. So not a wasted few hours.



No comments: