Friday 21 December 2018

Tinsel and turkeys

I can't get enough of the Christmas spirit, which is why I fancied taking a look at a load of oven ready fowl being auctioned today. There were two advantages to this; it wouldn't require and early start, and it would be indoors. The latter was important as the weather was wet - yet again. I knew there wouldn't be much to photograph in some respects, but I had hopes for getting one or two festive looking pictures if I could work the tinsel and fairy lights in somehow.

For the sake of cussedness, I guess, I elected to eschew the comfort of a zoom lens and go with the 28/50/100mm trio. To my surprise I ended up suing the 100mm macro lens most, followed by the 50mm. Occasionally I wished I could have zoomed one or other of the lenses in or out a touch, but mostly I managed to move my feet to get the framing I wanted.

The light was not quite as challenging as usual because the red-glowing heaters weren't switched on (for the sake of the fowl), so getting a reasonable white balance was almost possible. I still had to do more processing than I like to get the out of focus tinsel to shine and glow.

Not much more to say apart from, here are a few pictures. First a scene setter, then some tinselly ones.





These and a few more here.

No comments: