Sunday 18 August 2019

Surprise sheep show

Yesterday I decided to give the Gargrave Show a miss in favour of a sheep dog trial at Barbon. The reasons being that while the Gargrave Show was enjoyable last year I fancied going to see somewhere new. As I approached the entrance to the trials there was a banner advertising the event as a trial and a sheep show. Bonus!


This is a local sheep-only (apart from a sticks) show concentrating on local breeds. Rough Fells were the 'stars' with Bluefaced Leicesters and Mules also in evidence. There was also a high percentage of people with cameras in evidence.



As I'd arrived quite late judging was well under way. With all these other people taking photographs in and around a small area I felt quite restricted by trying to avoid being either in the background of other people's photos or getting in their way. I was also struggling to find anything fresh to photograph. It was more of the same old stuff.






The sheep dog trial was up a short but steep hill and less popular with the photographers. It was a struggle for the competitors with uncooperative sheep. This made it a struggle to get any action shots around the pen, which was close enough for photography.



With a stiff and chilling breeze blowing it was another day of people sheltering in their vehicles to keep warm meaning that, once more, there wasn't much going on around the field to photograph either. That forced me to start looking for anything at all that might make some kind of picture.










Now it seems that sheep shows have become another event for photographers (think Whitby Goth Weekends) I think it might be time to start looking elsewhere after this show season is over as I'm not into competing for pictures. Although having looked at other people's sheep show pictures I do seem to select 'different' things to point my camera at than most people. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing!

No comments: