Saturday 27 June 2020

A change of view

There is a temptation when you find a kind of picture which other people like to keep on repeating it. In the case of my geometric farmed-landscapes this has merit as it produces a cohesive set of pictures. What it doesn't do is pain the whole picture. It only shows the results of labour without showing how it has come about.

There can still be variations to be had, such as taking a fresh patch and looking across more undulating land.


This was a walk on a day which promised rain, and delivered. Luckily it was a warm day, I'd gone prepared too. Being quite windy the showers blew over quickly and I was fortunate to find shelter from the two heaviest. While taking shelter from the second I tried to make a picture of the rain. After all, rain makes the crops grow.


The sheets of insect netting continue to fascinate me as much as the planting patterns. I'd like to get closer still, but never seem to find anywhere accessible and visually interesting enough.


Back to collecting field patterns.



There are some things which need no explanation, such as a field of lettuces, but others make more sense when explained. I thing these grow bags need words for the picture to be understood beyond it's visual impression. Without the knowledge that the bags will be removed and the contents left to rot down to be spread on the land it looks like an unsightly pile of rubbish.


I've always had a strange liking for making pictures with lots of negative s[pace. The clarity of this blue sky struck me as strange. It was just a case of balancing the negative and positive. I always think that negative space weighs lighter than positive space. Kind of like bags of feathers to bags of stones.


In among the pictures for this project is a growing collection pictures of tyre tracks. Don't ask why.


After that walk in the rain I determined that it was time to make an effort to get more activity pictures. Not being close to any work that's going on means using a long lens which in this case isn't too bad as it can provide a sense of place. With that in mind I made a sequence of pictures of planting out. Some I was able to take at a shortish focal length.





The weather continued being changeable, restricting the times I could get out which didn't coincide with when I wanted to be out. Even so I usually find something to photograph. It was a pity the work going on with the fleece/netting was in the distance but the picture does show more than that. There is mown grass in the foreground and a cereal crop in the distance, plus the farm buildings, church, and far distance moors to suggest what the area feels like


Similarly I wanted to show the 'bog oak' in the picture below as well as the tractors and fleece 'bobbin'.


As I seek to expand the range of subjects beyond crops and cropping I've been looking at the more obviously industrial aspects of the veg industry. Mass transportation is one, and perhaps surprisingly, globalisation. How to illustrate this?


the picture above is an improved version of one I took a while back in grim light. I'd tried a second time when I thought the sun would be in the right place but there was a shadow cast across the sign. Third time lucky. I seem to be making more effort to go back to get pictures I have in my head these days.

If that carries on I'll make a better version of the picture below, which I'd prefer not to have been taken in the village. It has, however, given my a clue as to how to photograph the vegetable wagons.


More changeable weather in the forecast, so limited opportunities in prospect. Or I could put the waterproofs on.

No comments: