Saturday 4 July 2020

Dodging the showers. Again...

It's been a case of getting out when the rain stops and the inevitable diminishing returns as the meanygate project progresses.

So much so on the second point that I've been taking photographs outside my allotted area. The wrapped bales are actually inside the area, but not really on topic as the main growing area is to the west (right in this picture) of this field.



Having said that there is a patch of grass not far away on the main moss which was being mown the other day. Always thinking how pictures might be used or presented I took versions without and with the tractor. It's having options for future use which often makes me keep two or more pictures of the same thing which have slight differences. Sometimes the 'best' individual picture will not work as well in a sequence as a 'less good' picture.



This is another case in point. I took wider views of this scene as well as this tight one.


As I become more familiar with the places I walks on the moss I can still be surprised by things which I must have passed by without noticing. Although I had seen the demolished road name sign a time or two I hadn't noticed the name sprayed on the tarmac before. It's not much but it made for a picture


There have been days when there has been thunder in the air, and that can mean slate grey skies which provide a contrast to illuminated foregrounds when the thunder has passed over. Sometimes light can be more than the subject of a picture. Needless to say it took more than one frame to get the ribbons blowing in a way which made a picture which satisfied me.


Feeling in need of a change I drove out to the nearby marsh for a wander, not knowing what to expect on a route I'd not taken before. It turned out to be more interesting than my usual walk along the far flood bank. Again it was a shower dodging day, and I just managed to start out as the rain began to clear. This time the light was much less dramatic. Wherever I go I seem o be persisting with my 'stick it in teh middle' approach to composition.



It might not be at the forefront of my mind to look for egg sales these days, but when I see one that's new to me I take a photograph or two. Who would steal chickens?


After that interlude it was back to the moss where things never stand still as crop follows crop.


Lettuce discards get returned to the soil as the gorund is prepared for whatever is going in next.


In other places potatoes are well in flower, but on the moss they are just coming into bloom. The acreage given over to potatoes in this country must be immense. It makes me wonder what people ate before they were introduced!


Elsewhere salad crops were being planted. In this case on a small scale by a gang of two rather than the minibus transported crews of larger operations.



As we head into high summer 'Constable skies' begin to be a feature on the flat lands. I wonder if Constable would paint wind turbines if he was around today? I expect he would. While we see his paintings from our present making them seem nostalgic, he painted what was which were contemporary for him.


Still looking for a way to show the transport wagons I tried another approach. I'm not sure it worked. It did give me think though.

No comments: