Sunday 8 November 2020

The struggle continues

As Lockdown 2 kicks in the frustration regarding attending events to take photographs grows stronger. This is compounded by being busy with work limiting  my free time during the decreasing hours of usable daylight as we head for the midwinter solstice. That's why I've been out and about after dark again. This time reverting to the 28mm view having found anything shorter restricting. It needs a bit more weather thought to make the kind of pictures I have in mind, even though everything looks different under artificial light in black and white.


When I have managed to get out during daylight hours it's been to head to different flat farming land, still within five miles or fewer of home. First off was a walk around the old marsh, hopping to see sheep if I'm honest, but settling for veg and other random stuff. The prime aim of the walk was to get acquainted with a new-to-me lens which I'm hoping will wean me off the 28-300.

 


Saturday was another sunny morning of work which I managed to get boxed off before lunch and headed out hoping there'd be some misty on the mere. There was. not much though and facing away from the sun you'd have been hard pressed to spot it. Lots of water still on some of the fields though. So more sodden land pictures added to the files.
 

 

 

Today work was taking longer  so by two I gave up and went to look for the sheep I'd found close to home on the moss. They were well out of camera range... There were a couple of unexpected beef cattle grazing another patch of land close by but not in a position which could have made a picture. I thought of retracing my steps as there didn't appear to be anything changed along the usual circuit, but I carried on regardless and stumbled upon some onions. The pictures I made could come in handy should this meanygate/moss project ever come to anything.


The same might apply to this picture of crates which I made because the arrangement of shapes took my fancy.

As can be seen, it is a struggle at the moment to come up with anything. There might be something to be found from visiting the mere and the marsh. Perhaps this isn't the best time of year for that though. The night time pictures are looking most likely to lead something which can be pulled together. It might be a case of keeping on bashing away at it until it begins to take shape.

As for the 'new' lens. It's too early to tell. So far I'm not missing the extra reach at the long end of the 28-300 or the wider angle at 28mm. And I am liking the much reduced curvature of the horizon at all focal lengths. More playing around with it still required. Which is as good an excuse as any to pop out for an hour now and then.


No comments: