Sunday 3 January 2021

Cold snaps

At long last the rain stopped. Sort of. Despite sub-zero temperatures arriving the precipitation which fell round here was either hail or rain. Which made for slippy road and pavement surfaces. Gradually the showers became less frequent and I got out and about looking for changed scenes. With some success.

The first frost was followed by a warmer couple of days and I went to the canal to photograph bridge 5A from above. It was less interesting than I'd remembered from doing similar some years back. But I added a couple of pictures to the canal project - which may or may not be on hold, or even done with.

With the icy mornings making it treacherous to walk the few yards to the field I have been delaying my ventures out. This has meant missing out on the chances for frost covered scenes. But I can live with that. One afternoon I did find myself being enveloped by a rising mist towards dusk. Better still I was close to some things which would make for foreground interest. That's if you find diesel pumps and tractor tracks interesting.


Or farm trailers with small birds perching on them.

Another frosty wander gave me a chance to make a compare and contrast picture of the carrot harvester which I'd photographed one warmer and sunny afternoon.

 
Apart from that it has been a case of photographing the frozen land and remaining crops.
 




In other news the zine I was planning fizzled out. When I made a PDF to preview it the pictures didn't work together. They were more successful as a grid. It was either start again with a different selection of pictures or scrap the idea. I scrapped it. I'll try to rework things with a different approach sometime. Maybe not even in print form. A slideshow might be the way forward seeing as a large grid is an unwieldy thing to make/display.

The freezing night-time temperatures are supposed to go away this week. I might manage an early walk or two. Or not...


No comments: