Sunday 23 August 2020

A slow week

It's been a week of work and weather restricting my outings. Sunday I went out late, not expecting much for the meanygate project and got sidetracked almost straight away by a flock of starlings perching on a pylon. As chance had it I'd taken a longish zoom with me so I made some graphic compositions before they gradually departed. By walking slowly I managed to get closer and closer to the birds.



Taking advantage of the lack of work I made some close ups of a celery harvester. Visual punctuation for the project is how I think of this sort of thing.


Monday morning I walked to the Post Office and took a detour to see what was going on where some greenhouses had been demolished. I'm none the wiser as to why they have gone, but I got a couple of pics which I cropped to 5:4 for some reason.


Tuesday tea time there was rumblings of thunder. I took a chance and got the car out. The rain hit when I was walking out to the moss, so I turned back and went for a drive. This got me away from the rain and provided some distant views of passing downpours in the distance. The light effect was quite something. I'm not sure why I only took my 50mm lens...

Even looking behind me there was something. For all the frames I shot I made unusual crops for me.

 

Wednesday I went to see how things were drying out which made for an interesting comparison photo for one I've posted previously.

Another look today after a downpour last night showed that the drying had been reversed. It must be frustrating and annoying for the growers.

 

An inconsequential photograph really, but it serves to illustrate something that wouldn't have been seen years ago. Pumpkins. The Americanisation of Halloween has seen these gourds replacing the turnips we used to make lanterns out of 'when I was a lad'. It's something I shall try to make better pictures of as they reach maturity.

 
Whenever I get a chance I like to photograph tractors. Particularly older ones which are still in use. One day I might do something more about them as a subject.

 
 
Another distraction on a walk out to the moss one morning was the goal posts on the playing field. It's not often there are nets left on them. When they are it can make for interesting abstracts, which the posts can on their own. I always seem to prefer black and white conversions for this sort of picture. Maybe because it reminds me of photographing goal posts on film back in prehistory?

 
Also on the monochrome theme I decided to get a dummy copy of my complete poultry book printed. It wouldn't be the same format, but the pictures would be the same size as I'm intending. I thought having a hard copy to look at would give me a better idea of how various pictures looked at certain sizes, how the sequencing worked, and how the book 'felt' as an object.

Doing it in black and white cut the cost by over 50% which made the small outlay worthwhile. A day and a half of fiddling with the sequencing, removing a few pictures and replacing some others and I'm fairly happy with where I'm at now. There are just over 100 pictures across 88 pages. So it's a fairly chunky thing. All that's left to do is write a few paragraphs as an acknowledgement page and an unwaffley introduction. This will only run to a few hundred words for the two, but will probably take me a week to write, rewrite, scrap and start again!
 
 

No comments: