Saturday 15 August 2020

Busy week

Nothing much to say about the latest ventures forth with cameras. I thought the water would have drained off the field path when I went out on Thursday morning. But it hadn't. I went over my boots and did most of the five miles with wet feet. As it was red hot I didn't notice and the boots soon dried out when I got home.

The moss was still wet in places, as it remains today (Saturday), but the water levels had subsided.
 

 
In one place the fine, peaty soil had been washed down the slope like a miniature landslip, engulfing some small lettuce plants and making the sort of patterns seen on beaches after an ebbing tide.

  
Friday I went out late to avoid the heat and to see if I could get any mossland sunset pictures. On my way there I took a picture of a grid set in grooved concrete. I have no idea why. Looking at it back home it plays tricks on me. The outwardly radiating grooves messing with my mental image of the perspective and making it look more like it's a ceiling than a floor!

The sunset proved troublesome. The clouds did a disappearing act as the sun got lower. There being little in the way of foreground interest in the flatlands to make a picture I went elsewhere. The last few degrees of sunset last no time at all and I was lucky to find something to put in front of it when I drove out to the sheep farm. I still managed to make a bit of a hash of the exposures and haven't really captured the look of the scene as I remember it.

This morning I was up bright and early, and for once the clouds didn't close in after I'd had my breakfast. The field path was dry, although the grass damp from dew. Four crows were perched preening on a pylon and I made a few of my new style wildlife pictures of them.
 

The low sun helped with this shot of celery, providing just the right sort of light.The damp soil being dark enough to provide good contrast with the well lit leaves.

Elsewhere I went for more close up and detailed pictures, making a few of lettuce under midge netting and stacks of crates which reminded me of tower blocks.



While greenhouse pictures aren't yet a project I do still take them. One day thy might all hang together, or give me the nudge to make a concerted effort to pursue a greenhouse projects.

With some work done after lunch I bit the bullet and returned to editing my poultry book. After two hours solid my head was spinning and I had to take a break. I was finding gaps which needed filling as the editing process had developed a flow to the pictures which required more of some themes I hadn't originally considered worth including.

Something else which has become apparent is that I'm going to have to find a way to make a hard copy proof. A cheap print, in black and white, from Doxdirect might be the way to do that. At around 90 pages it would not only take ages on my home printer but use up a lot of ink. An A4 or even A5 saddle stitched proof would be less hassle.

I'll tackle it again tomorrow to fill some gaps then sit on it for a day or two before proofing one way or another.


No comments: